Obscure Hearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The stories of Earl Jenkins' Manor.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Drawing room

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Drawing room Empty The Drawing room 7th September 2013, 2:11 pm

Faustus XIII

Faustus XIII
Admin

The Drawing room Th?id=H.5012996739432620&pid=1

I mulled over what he had told me as I savored the Scotch. Not bad, really — like a beer that’s been in a brawl.”― David Justice

Here is where Lord Jenkins entertains most of his male guests and business partners. There's a wet-bar, a chess table, a grand fireplace, cigars and comfortable leather sofas. Almost everything needed to keep the average male happy.

Last edited by Faustus XIII on 2nd November 2013, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://obscurehearts.rpg-board.net

2The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 17th September 2013, 8:41 pm

Yafflynn

Yafflynn

Fred and Fran sat in the room uncomfortably, waiting. Fred actually stood not really trusting anything enough to sit down. Fran sat in one of the chairs set out for the chess table and he was messing with the ruffles of his dress. Fred rolled her eyes, why did Fran have to be such a girl? The reason they stood here in this room was because a previous employer told them that the master of the house had some positions open that he was looking to fill. Fred didn’t really have any idea what the positions were, but right now any job was a good job, if they could keep it.

3The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 3rd November 2013, 3:33 pm

Moon_Called

Moon_Called

Breaking the stifling awkward silence the door to the drawing room opened with a slight creek, followed by the faint squeak of wheels and the clatter of dishes as a small serving cart laden with a basket and a full tea tray came into site. The fresh pot of spiced tea left a trail of fragrant vapors pouring from its spout like a little steam engine, its conductor was a tall man in his early to mid-twenties dressed in a sharp, perfectly pressed suit dark gray suit, white gloves, and polished black shoes. He moved with a great sense of grace, his glossy chestnut colored braid, almost as thick as a young woman’s wrist, swayed from side to side as he bowed to both of the twins in turn, a charming smile playing on his lips.
“I’m sorry to have kept you waiting so long.” He apologized “Good afternoon, name is Owen Maystead, and I hold the position of the estate’s head butler. On any normal circumstances, I would hold the interviews and handle the hiring myself. For both of you, but the Master insisted that he meet with you himself, Miss Cooper.” he nodded to Fred “He should be along here shortly, but in the mean time I’d like to welcome you to Earl Jenkins' home and hopfully have the opportunity to speak with the both of you, especially you, Mister Francis."
Jasper green eyes scanned over the young man carefully, his expression hard to read.
"Please, come take a seat." Owen gestured to the sitting area " May I interest you in something to eat or drink? It’s been getting terribly cold out as of late, and I’m sure you’ve had a long trip getting here.”

4The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 3rd November 2013, 7:59 pm

Yafflynn

Yafflynn

"I prefer to be called Fran, if you don't mind." Fran smiled at the nice butler. Fred gave a sort of half smile, to be polite.

"Do you know what kind of jobs we would be getting? We came here with not much information to go on. I would just like some information, or should I wait for the master of the house to give that?" Fred furrowed her brows to show a wary expression. Fran blinked at his twin, he knew what she was getting at. More than once they had been thrown into jobs that had been something they would rather not have gone through. Fred was tensed up and had her arms crossed over her chest. They had been in a slight rush this morning, so neither of them looked nearly as spiffy as this man. Fred’s braid was slightly untidy, and she had accidentally put on her shirt that had some stains on it, they weren’t noticeable until you pointed them out, but Fran was sure, if someone was looking for imperfections they could definitely find plenty in them today. Fred kept pointing them out to herself on the way up. She was really worried about getting this job. They needed it.

5The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 3rd November 2013, 8:54 pm

Moon_Called

Moon_Called

“Not at all. Forgive me if I offended you.” Owen nodded his head politely before turning his attention to the female twin. They were both more than just a tad uncomfortable, that was clear enough by their body language alone. There was no need for them to voice it, or to point it out and make the situation worse for that matter.

“Actually, we have several open positions at the time; mainly maids and other such house staff, thus requiring the person taking on the job to live here on the estate full time.” Owen brought a small, neatly folded sheet of parchment from his breast pocket and looked it over momentarily before returning to where it belonged. “However, I do believe Lord Jenkins had something a bit different in mind for you, Miss Cooper.” He said, crossing his legs before continuing on.
“Most of our previous employees are either going into retirement or coming upon the age where they wish to settle down with their own families.” he sighed slightly “And as I’m sure you know, a lack of proper staff can turn out to a bit of a crisis in a household of this vastness. There’s much that needs to be done and few that are willing to do it, and get it done right the first time.”

Owen paid no mind the couple’s disheveled appearances, messy hair and stains were least of his concerns, and seeing as he himself had been welcomed into the estate in far worse condition left him without any right or desire to judge. What did matter, on the other hand, would be their ability to perform after becoming established in a job and above all else, complete loyalty….especially when it came down to Miss Cooper….he wouldn’t stand for someone betraying the master in fear or for petty bribes.

6The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 4th November 2013, 7:38 pm

Yafflynn

Yafflynn

Fred nodded. "Do you have a cook job open by any chance? I know my brother may look strange, but he can cook, really well in fact." Fred suggested. Fran nodded, taking in what little praise his sister gave him. Fred was a little uneasy about the concept of 'something a bit different', but she mentally took a deep breath, she wouldn't let her mind jump to conclusions. She wait for it to be explained.

Fran gave his twin a look and then jerked his eyes to a nearby chair. Fred shook her head. Fran rolled his eyes, and once again turned his attention to the butler. The three sat in silence, waiting for the master of the house to arrive. Fred and Fran were both a little anxious to meet him and find out what kind of man he was. Fred had heard he was fairly young, for a master of such a large estate. She had also heard that the estate tended to attract strange characters. Which at the moment was the perfect place for a girl who refused to be a lady and a boy who refused to be a man. Depending on what job this man had in mind for her, she wouldn't give this opportunity up for a lifetime.

7The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 12th November 2013, 4:53 pm

Nefarious Nightingale

Nefarious Nightingale

For a second time this afternoon the uncomfortable silence was shattered by the tamp of light footsteps followed immediately by the wooden creek of the door. As it swung open in stepped the awaited Earl Jenkins, fashionably late with a polite smile that just bordered on stiff gracing his youthful visage. Wafts of fine spiced tea caught his nose and with a fleeting glance at the tall Butler he nodded slightly in acknowledgment, his movements calm and refined as he shut the four of them in, turned to his patient guests and politely inclined his head at either one.

"Well, here we are. Good afternoon, Mr and Miss Cooper. I am Fane Jenkins, Earl of this estate and perhaps your future employer." Taking a seat in one of the exquisitely upholstered velvet armchairs he folded his arms in his lap and continued, wanting to get the niceties done and dusted with as soon as possible so they could get down to the real work. "I do apologise for being a touch late, I was just gathering some last minute paperwork. Owen has greeted you both and made you comfortable, I assume, and he has also explained that usually he is the one managing staff employment yes?"

8The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 14th November 2013, 9:47 pm

Moon_Called

Moon_Called

The butler couldn’t help but smirk at the female twin’s claim of her brother’s supposed ‘strangeness’. He may seem out of the ordinary to most, but Owen had seen just about every oddity imaginable walk through the front gates during his time here, and he almost wished he could assure Fred that she too, would soon experience the same. ‘Especially after she meets Rai….’

“Oh? A bit of born talent?” Owen’s interest was immediately piqued.
“Multiple, actually.” Owen nodded and continued “Mainly scullery and kitchen maids, a few assistant cooks, and of course the position of head chef is currently open for discussion; seeing as our current chef is hoping to retire soon. You see he’s a feisty man, but he’s aging and his knees just aren’t what they use-….”
The man’s sentence was cut off when the sound of all too familiar foot falls rang in his ears. Immediately he stood, meeting Fane’s beautiful lavender gaze for only a fleeting moment before greeting him, not with words, but by bowing deeply from the waist, then moving on to serve the master from the cart. Skillful hands poured a cup of hot tea, and then placed an apple tart on one of the delicate china plates, setting them both before Fane in 30 seconds flat. All without spilling a single drop or dropping a piece of the tart’s flaky crust.

9The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 15th November 2013, 11:39 pm

Yafflynn

Yafflynn

"Good afternoon," Fred said awkwardly. Fran watched as the young, no wait, the young gorgeous Master of the house sat down into his chair and curled his pale fingers around his own arms. He looked him up and down as the man continued talking with Fred.

"So what position exactly do you have in mind for me?" Fred asked of the man who had finally entered the room. She was truly trying to be as patient as humanly possible. Unfortunately she had never been a very patient person.  “Oh I also have a really, um, odd question. We would be living on the estate, I assume, um, how do you feel about animals?”  

"Oh, yes, there was something about cook jobs," Fran said a little absentmindedly. Fred looked over at her brother with her eyebrows pulled together. Fran wasn't paying the slightest bit attention to the actual conversation, he seemed to be totally engrossed in checking Fane Jenkins out. Fred gave a little glare at her brother but he didn't even notice. Fran was very intently watching Fane, and Fred wasn’t the only one to notice.

"So are we going to discuss the jobs now?" Fred said to try to get, not Fane's attention, but her brothers.

10The Drawing room Empty Re: The Drawing room 10th February 2014, 6:46 pm

Nefarious Nightingale

Nefarious Nightingale

"Thank you, Owen.." Fane muttered softly, stealing a second to admire the fine choice of chinaware as he produced a small, wax sealed letter from a breast pocket inside his jacket and held it out for Owen to take. The butler could deal with that after the meeting..

"I've been loosely informed of your talents, Miss Cooper. I will keep this to the point. I'm in need of a informant. I have a solid understanding that a particular business partner of mine has undertaken acts of an unsavoury nature, fraud and embezzlement to name a few. So far nothing has show up that may alter our arrangement, but I'm sure you can understand that I have my concerns now, and I need clearer information about his workings. That would be where you come in. He's a slippery character and I don't want him to realise that i have cottoned onto his actions just yet.."

Taking the delicate teacup Owen had set out for him the young master took a quick sip of hot spiced tea. Catching and briefly holding Fred's gaze before brushing back a lock of hair and taking another sip.

"Taking up residence in this estate would be expected, but other arrangements can be made for you and your brother if deemed necessary." he answered, a curious twinkle in his eye as the subject of animals was hesitantly brought up.
"Animals? What kind of animals?"
While it was certainly a surprise he would hardly call it an odd question, a few other members of staff already had a pet and as long as they didn't become major distractions and sources of mischief then he wasn't against the idea.
"I have no hard rules against my staff owning pets, but they are your responsibility so I expect you to care for them and keep them under control, if not I'll have to reconsider your or the animal's lodging."

He had been politely ignoring the intense staring in his direction so far, quite frankly he had long since become adjusted to such reactions. But somehow, rather unexpectedly, this time it had turned awkward rather quickly. As Fran tried to attract her brother' attention Fane coughed lightly into his hand and replaced the untouched slice of apple tart onto the Butler's cart. He didn't think he could manage to eat it right now..
"There are open positions in the kitchen, yes."
He started, pushing to keep the conversation and the meeting in general on track,
"Can I ask.. have you worked in a kitchen of this sort before? What skills do you possess?"
Levelling a glassy stare at the other twin the young master leaned back in his chair, just as intent to scrutinise the two people before him as he awaited an answer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum